What tech do you use?
Read on friend to learn about the hardware and software I use for play and to build Made Mistakes. None of it is terribly exciting or unexpected, but hey — maybe the curious of you will find it interesting.
- iMac 21.5-inch, Late 2013 model with 16GB memory, and stock Apple Magic Mouse and keyboard.
- Lenovo ThinkStation E30, 3.30 GHz Intel Xeon with 16 GB memory.
- iPad 12.9″ Pro with the Space Gray finish and Apple Pencil (first generation).
- iPhone 7 Plus with Jet Black finish.
- Apple Watch Series 5 with Space Gray aluminum case.
- Canon Rebel XTi DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm and 50mm lenses.
- Operating systems: macOS Mojave and Windows 7
Visual Studio Code with the following notable extensions:
- Sourcetree for Git heavy lifting when VS Code doesn’t cut it.
- Adobe Creative Suite - Photoshop, Illustrator, and occasionally AfterEffects.
- Jekyll - Ruby based static site generator.
- Gatsby - React based framework for building websites and apps.
I’ve been on a static site generator kick the last couple of years and use
Jekyll Gatsby to build this page and everything else found on the site. The basic idea is I write a bunch of text in Markdown and it spits out a set of files that are deployed to a webserver.
If you’re interested in the specifics of how the site is built I’ve made its source available on GitHub for anyone to fork and download. And because I’m such a cool dude I’ve also open sourced a couple of Jekyll themes for you to use and abuse — you’re welcome!
- Continuous integration and deployment via Travis CI.
- Hosting and CDN via Netlify.
- Domain name registered with Hover.
Page may contain affiliate and/or referral links. For more information read my disclosure policy.